Michael Marcus Takes the Iron Horse to the Blue Note
In addition to releasing The Iron Horse in September of this year, Marcus helps the Cosmosamatics with their most recent release, Reeds & Birds (with Clifford Barbaro and Jay Rosen alternating on drums), a Charlie Parker tribute. "It's wonderful," Marcus enthuses. "Sonny sings 'Autumn in New York', like Earl Coleman. We do a ballad medley and I do 'In a Sentimental Mood' solo on clarinet. 'Birdfeathers', 'Cheryl', 'Drifting on a Reed', really obscure Charlie Parker tunes, just with drums, clarinet and English horn. Very beautiful and the production's wonderful."
"If the message is important, the audience will probably be there. I think the thing to do is just stay positive, no matter where you are. I think that's the message: positivity, spirituality and, of course, peace, because we're from the Summer of Love in San Francisco. No matter if it's New York or Poland or Paris or Prague, just stay positive and hope people will want to hear this message and it will inspire them."
– Sonny Simmons/Billy Higgins - Backwoods Suite (West Wind, 1982)
– Michael Marcus - Under the Wire (Enja, 1990)
– Michael Marcus - Ithem (Ayler, 1993)
– Michael Marcus - Live in N.Y. (Soul Note, 1999)
– Michael Marcus - Speakin' Out (Drimala, 2002)
– Cosmosamatics - Reeds & Birds (Not Two, 2004)