Odds 'n Ends Before Dashing Off . . .
Like June, Jazz education seems to be bustin' out all over. Jazz at Lincoln Center is continuing WeBop!, its series of Jazz education classes for pre-schoolers. Classes for children ages 2-6 years (you heard right) will continue on Tuesdays and Saturdays from January 11 through March 5 in J@LC's Frederick P. Rose Hall, Broadway at 60th St. (more specifically, in the Irene Diamond Education Center, Louis Armstrong Classroom, which is on the fifth floor).
WeBop! features classes in which children and their parents or care-givers sing, move, and play to, it says here, "the soulful rhythms and melodies of great Jazz." Drawing upon the best of America's music and the expertise of early childhood development, "WeBop! instructors lead children to a greater understanding of Jazz and their national musical heritage." Sounds good to me. The earlier the better, I say! The three age groups are Stompers (2-3 years), Syncopators (4-5) and Gumbo Group (whoever's left).
WeBop! is produced in collaboration with Early Childhood Music Education, Teachers College, Columbia University. The Louis Armstrong Classroom was made possible by a generous gift from the Louis Armstrong Educational Foundation. For more information, phone Lindsay Brust, 212-258-9868, or send an e-mail to email@example.com
And that wraps things up for now. Until next time, keep swingin'!
New and Noteworthy
- Dan McMillion Jazz Orchestra, Give It One (Sea Breeze)
- Ladd McIntosh Big Band, Temptation / Ride the Night Beast (L.E.M.)
- SWR Big Band / Sammy Nestico, No Time Like the Present (Hanssler)
- DIVA, Tommy Newsom Tribute (DJO)
- Mike Longo NY State of the Art Jazz Ensemble, Oasis (CAP)
- David Berger / Sultans of Swing, Marlowe (Such Sweet Thunder)
- Rob Parton's JazzTech Big Band, Two Different Days (Sea Breeze)
- George Gee Big Band, Settin' the Pace (GJazz)
- Clark Terry / Chicago Jazz Orchestra, Porgy & Bess (Americana Music)
- Harry Arnold Big Band, 1964 / 1965, Vols. 1 and 2 (Dragon)
- Texas All-Star Jazz Camp Big Band, All of Us (Sea Breeze Vista)
- Straight Ahead Big Band, The Third Time (SABB)