Charlie Kohlhase: The Cranky Yankee
Aside from the usual lessons learned on your first real tour, the friendships forged, the connections made and the experiences playing legendary locales like Chicago's Green Mill, Kohlhase grew privy to some of the nation's best restaurants and record stores with the Either/Orchestra - information that later came in handy with his own bands. "He has this voracious appetite for buying albums and he really enjoys good quality food, said Hofbauer. "We would go into a town and he would know the best pie place and where all the great record stores are.
"He's like a walking encyclopedia of jazz history, Hofbauer continues. "Anytime anybody asks him a question he'll tell the year the album came out, with so and so and so and so on it, he knows all this information, any record you can ask him, especially if it's from some of his favorite artists. It's great because he's like Boston's source for rare jazz historical knowledge.
· Either/Orchestra - The Half Life of Desire (Accurate, 1989)
· Charlie Kohlhase - Dart Night (Accurate, 1995)
· Hedger/Kohlhase/McBride/Newton - Konk (Boxholder, 1999)
· Kohlhase/Rudd - Eventuality (Nada Music, 2000)
· Charlie Kohlhase - Play Free or Die (Boxholder, 2001)
· Tchicai/Kohlhase/Fewell - Good Night Songs (Boxholder, 2005)