The AZ Jazz Academy: Onward And Upward
And last but not least... The Los Angeles Jazz Institute is planning another spectacular event for big-band lovers, "Swing Into Spring, next May 24-27 at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel at LAX. There's no tribute to any specific band or bands this time, simply four days of great music by nearly twenty outstanding West Coast ensembles including the Don Ellis Alumni Band directed by Milcho Leviev and featuring Sam Falzone and Fred Selden; the Los Angeles Jazz Orchestra playing the music of Charles Mingus; the Bob Florence Limited Edition; and the Gerald Wilson Orchestra. Completing the lineup are Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, the Carl Saunders Bebop Big Band, Maiden Voyage, the Frank Capp Juggernaut, Roger Neumann's Rather Large Band, Gerry Gibbs and the Thrasher Big Band, the Scott Whitfield, Buddy Collette, Wayne Bergeron, Mike Barone and Steve Huffsteter big bands, Stan Kenton's Adventures in Time, and the Collegiate Neophonic Orchestra of Southern California directed by Jack Wheaton.
There's also a special VIP level that includes front seats in the ballroom and a bus trip to Balboa Beach on May 23 that includes a walking tour of historic sites including the Rendezvous Ballroom, lunch at the Balboa Pavilion and a concert by the Mike Vax Big Band featuring Stan Kenton alumni. Wow!
And that's all for now. Until next time, keep swingin'...!
New and Noteworthy
1. Steve Cannon/Blow Hard Big Band, Full Blown (BRP)
2. Jim Cutler Jazz Orchestra, In Progress (Pony Boy)
3. National Youth Jazz Orchestra, London Pride (NYJO)
4. hr Big Band, Once In A Lifetime (TCB)
5. Doug Lawrence & His Orchestra, Big Band Swing (DLM)
6. Jazz Project Big Band, Thanks For The Memories (no label)
7. Colin Byrne Jazz Orchestra, Leaving For Home (TDCB)
8. U WisconsinEau Claire, Lockbox (Sea Breeze Vista)
9. Vic Vogel/European Jazz Orchestra, Hommage à Oscar Peterson (VV Records)
10. John C. Smith & The Pecos River Brass, What a Wonderful World (PRB)
11. Joey Sellers Jazz Aggregation, El Payaso (Nine Winds)
12. Mt. Hood CC Jazz Band And Combo, My Foolish Heart (Sea Breeze Vista)
13. Buddy Collette Big Band, Live At El Camino College (UFO Bass)
14. West Australian Youth Jazz Orchestra, WAYJO Live (no label)
15. Marilyn Harris & The L.A. All-Stars Big Band, Round Trip (Wrightwood)