Checking the Calendar
On October 9-12, Ken Poston and the Los Angeles Jazz Institute present "Big Band Fiesta," from Cuban Fire to Sketches of Spain, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Newport Beach, CA. As usual, Poston has assembled a world-class lineup, to wit: The Palladium Big 3 Orchestra (the combined orchestras of Tito Puente, Machito and Tito Rodriguez); Cubana Be-Cubana Bop (Afro-Cuban Music of the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band featuring trumpeter Jon Faddis with special guest percussionist Candido); The Music of Chico O'Farrill played by an all-star band directed by Chico's son, Arturo; Brazilliance featuring alto saxophonist Bud Shank and His Brazilian Friends; an all-star band featuring Stan Kenton Alumni playing Johnny Richards' Cuban Fire; "Echoes of Aranjuez" by the Bill Holman Band; "Viva Tirado" by the Gerald Wilson Orchestra; Jose Rizo's Jazz on the Latin Side All-Stars; "Afro Cuban Influence" featuring the Shorty Rogers Big Band; "Viva Zapata: The Latin Side of the Lighthouse All-Stars" with Bud Shank and special guest percussionist Jack Costanzo; a tribute to vibraphonist Cal Tjader featuring the Estrada Brothers with special guest Armando Peraza; Johnny Richards' Rites of Diablo performed by the Collegiate Neophonic Orchestra; Miles Davis-Gil Evans' Sketches of Spain featuring trumpeter Bobby Shew; plus the usual noon poolside concerts (by the Cal State-Northridge Latin Jazz Ensemble, the Cal State-Long Beach Concert Jazz Orchestra, Saddleback College Jazz Ensemble and Cal State-LA Latin Jazz Ensemble) as well as films and panel discussions. A bonus event, "Viva Kenton," with Jack Costanzo, will be held on Wednesday evening, October 8. For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 562-985-7065.
Here in New Mexico...
The third annual Pecos Valley Jazz and Art Festival kicks off on Friday, October 10, and runs for three days at various venues around the city of Roswell. Featured artists include guest of honor Houston Person, Randy Sandke, Holly Hofmann, Roger Dickerson, Allan Vache, Dan Barrett, Richard Simon, Akira Tana, Mike Francis, John Sheridan, Nicki Parrott and Ricky Malichi. A number of the events are free to the public including a student workshop from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the School of Jazz Pueblo Auditorium.
On Sunday, a morning Jazz Worship Service will be followed by a New Orleans-style gumbo lunch at the First Presbyterian Church and the afternoon finale (2-4 p.m.), "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing," at the Anderson Museum.
And in Faraway Massachusetts...
The Pittsfield City Jazz Festival is scheduled for October 10-19 with performances by the Eagles Stage Band, the Pittsfield Sister City Jazz Ambassadors, the Noah Berman Trio, Evan Lurie and Friends, the New Black Eagle Jazz Band, the Pittsfield City Jazz Orchestra, Teri Rogier with the John Menegon Trio, the Ron Gill Quintet and organist Barbara Dennerlein, among others. For information, go to www.PittsfieldCityJazz.org or phone 413-442-7718.
Further Down the Road...
The Nebraska Jazz Orchestra has announced its 2008-09 concert season starting November 7 with the great jazz trombonist Bill Watrous as guest. On December 18 the NJO completes the calendar year with "Christmas and All that Jazz." Next January 22, "Learning with the Master" features guest artist Mike Tomaro, a composer / arranger / saxophonist who is director of Jazz Studies at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. Drummer Dana Hall visits on March 24, trumpeter Wayne Bergeron on May 19. A special Valentine's Day dinner / dance will be held on February 14. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or phone 402-477-8446.
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin'!
New and Noteworthy
- Eric Miyashiro Big Band, Pleiades (Village Music)
- Stockholm Jazz Orchestra, Plays Stockholm Jazz Orchestra (Dragon)
- No Name Horses, No Name Horses II (Universal & Classics Jazz)
- Central NY Jazz Orchestra, Then Now & Again (CNY)
- Klas Lindquist Nonet, Lift Off (Phono Suecia)
- University of North Florida Jazz Ensemble 1, With All My Love (UNF Jazz)
- Ninth+Lincoln, Untitled (Dazzle Records)
- Southwest Jazz Orchestra, Live in Santa Fe (SWJO)
- Greg Caputo Big Band, Classic Swing with a Modern Drive (no label)
- Georg Riedel / Swedish Radio Jazz Group, Wolfgang on My Mind (Phono Suecia)
- University of Northern Colorado Jazz Ensemble, Here in the Now (UNC Bear Tracks)
- Mesa Community College, Then and Now (Sea Breeze Vista)
- Nathan Tanouye & the Las Vegas Jazz Connection, Remembering Russ (Peacock Entertainment)
- Northwestern University Jazz Ensemble, Extra Credit / Jazz Spoken Here (No label)
- Mace Francis Orchestra, Live (Little Louie Records)