Charles Gayle Trio: Forgiveness (2008)
His story is familiar to many. Charles Gayle, the many times homeless saxophonist, plays his signature firebrand music and testifies to his religious faith in equal measure. Known for his tenor, he also plays the piano (an early instrument for him) with his unique style that is simultaneously old school and modern.
Here he is recorded in his familiar trio format playing live in Lodz, Poland in 2007. Gayle's playing partners are the frequent bassist Hilliard Greene and drummer Klaus Kugel.
The less than perfect audio does not distract from the intensity of these tracks. Gayle delivers five originals, John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and the traditional song "Forgiveness."
In contrast to his masterpiece, Touchin' On Trane (FMP, 1993), this session does not have an urgency about it. Perhaps Gayle has mellowed (not likely) or he is merely making his point with a different voice. His alto saxophone chisels lines that border on Albert Ayler's chants, but are unique to Gayle. He favors coloring the music with varying vibrato and stamina. Greene and Kugel are excellent partners following the lead and occasionally soloing.
The signature tune "Giant Steps" is introduced before the trio spins off into spitting and sputtering fits of energy, referencing the classic, but tearing the flesh from its bones. It's a good place to begin, in order to grasp his concept of playing, as it supplies a reference for the originals tracks.
By the closing track, "Forgiveness," Gayle's agenda is clear. His lubricious tone has made a convincing statement.
Track Listing: Living Waters; Glory, Glory, Glory; Holy Birth; Confess; Song To Thee; Giant Steps; Forgiveness.
Personnel: Charles Gayle: saxophone; Hilliard Greene: bass; Klaus Kugel: drums.
Charles Gayle Related
Sorry, no events found. Submit one now.
My iTunes Playlist
- ADAM WOJTUNIAK Alain Londes Alex Littlefield
- Amy Tushoski Andrei Platkovsky Andy Boeckstaens
- Arild Herstein Aviva Gabriel Barry Schmidt
- Bebra Washington Ben Susser Bernard Yavitch
- Blü_Phrog Boston University Jazz Brian Atkins
- bridget r boyle Bruce G. Brownlee C. Anthony Burrell, II
- camille ludwig chandler knapek Chie Ogura
- Chris Harrison ChuckAllAboutJazz Clive Aldenhoven
- ClydeQuake Constance Merritt Dan Bilawsky
- Daniel Thornton DARWIN LYTCH Dave Jackson
- Dave Kaufman David Kuntz Demetri Gómez García
- Dennis G. Bell Don Laybourne Duncan Walker
- Edna Willadsen Edward Doney Elizabeth Case
- Ernst Bier Etienne Shardlow Foster Freed
- Frank Frank Creed Frank Polgar
- fred price freetoojazz gary breckenridge
- Gazy Kattan George Relf gerald porzio
- Gian Paolo Galasi Harvey Schneider Ian Garrett
- Jackie P Janan Cheskis Jason Steinmetz
- Jeanne conner jeff bradford Jeffrey Clark
- Jeffrey Malis Jennifer Ortega Jerry Faglie
- Jo?o Cam?es JOE LOSARDO John Anderson
- John McCarthy John Roefaro Jonathan Gillman
- Judith Kearney Juknevičius Justin Vargo
- Karl Suechting keith d james keith gardiner
- Kelly E Nicholson Kelvin Evans Kermit H. Crissey, Jr.
- Kirk Robert Sellman Kris upshur Kyle Patterson
- Lana Fitzgerald Lance Saltzman Larry Thompson
- Lee William Leff Louis Blyskal Luis Torregrosa
- Marc Andren Mark Carroll Mark P. Berg
- Martel Chapman Mary Jo Riesberg Mary T Gallo
- Matthew Clark Matthew King Matthias Stadler
- Maurizio Zorzi Maxim Micheliov Mel Vo
- Melissa Sawvell Michael Irelan Michael Ricci
- Michael Steels Michael Sutton Michael T Smidutz
- Michele Amos Michiel Mike Crook
- Mike Hodges Mollinger nakedcity
- Neal Martin Nenad Georgievski Nicolas
- Nigel Gibbions Nikki Hillis p.f.
- Paul Goldstein Paul Nuttall Paul Rodwell
- philip w halter PittsburghRed R. W. Hepler
- Richard Tucker Robert Thomas Rodger Matthews
- Ron Pratt Ronald Manley RONDA NOEL
- Roy Strassman Russell P Moore Sam Morrson
- Scott Beekman Scott Dickinson Scott M. Manson, CPA JD
- Sharon Kaminski Stephen Rose Steven R. Holloway
- Tim Mooney Tony Ananias Tony McGee
- Tracy Hui Valentin Zunic Vic Colman
- Vincent Perron Wayne Bognar William Jeffries
- William Joseph O'Keeffe William Scharon Wm.R.Courtney III
- Wolfgang Krust Yvonne Hooker